The DASH Diet (Dietary approaches to stop hypertension) is the best dietary approach for health. The DASH diet method was discovered by the Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI) after researchers discovered that people who focused on a vegetable diet had lower blood pressure and sodium intake had an impact on their blood pressure blood.
It focuses on eating healthy foods such as whole grains, vegetables, fruits and low-fat dairy products. This also includes low-fat protein sources like chicken, meat, fish, legumes, and beans, but limit your intake of red meats, salt, sugar, and fat.
The DASH Diet is available in the following types:
– Eat the calories your body needs per day and should not consume more than 2300 mg of sodium per day.
2. Consume food from nature and focus on vegetables
3. Low sodium.
– reduce the amount of sodium intake to about 1500 The American heart association says that less than 1500 milligrams of sodium per day should be consumed. To help in reducing high blood pressure.
4. Eat only vegetables.
– Eat like the traditional ones, but don’t eat meat.
The DASH Diet program
The DASH Diet program allows you to choose from different food sources. The amount you take depends on the calories your body needs per day. The calories your body needs per day depends on your age and movement level (there are three levels in total) .
If you want to lose weight, eat less calories than you burn or increase your activity to: To increase the metabolic level than you eat
How does the DASH diet help?
The DASH Diet method believes that if you eat healthy foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat protein. And dairy products that are low in fat I stopped eating high-calorie foods, desserts, red meat, and consuming less salt. Not only can it lower blood pressure and cholesterol. But also to help with weight loss as well.
Eating large amounts of salt can lead to high blood pressure. The DASH Diet method can help reduce salt intake to below 2300 milligrams per day. The pressure in the blood stream is reduced. It can also help lower blood pressure by eating a diet high in calcium, magnesium, potassium, and protein.
Choosing foods that are natural or less formulated can help improve blood circulation or blood pressure. In addition, reducing your intake of saturated fat, sugar and calories will also help with weight loss.
Benefits of the DASH diet
1. Research has shown that the DASH Diet coupled with exercise can help patients with hypertension have their blood pressure dropped to 16 points within 4 months also reduces bad cholesterol in the body into
2 reduction. The risk of cancer.
3. The risk of having a defective metabolism. Studies have shown that it can reduce up to 81%.
4. Reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes and have better insulin resistance
5. Heart disease – It was found that it can reduce the risk of heart disease to 20% and reduce the risk of cerebral vessels in the brain to 29%.
6. Reducing calories during the DASH Diet with resistance exercise. Able to lose weight including a significant decrease in fat%.
What are the advantages of the DASH Diet?
1. Recognized by medical institutions such as NHLBI, American heart association, etc.
2. Health benefits DASH Diet is recommended for people with high cholesterol and high blood pressure. But in fact, it can be used by anyone who wants to stay healthy.
3. Easy to do because the DASH Diet has a lot of food options. Can be used for a long term.
4. Get nutritious nutrients. The DASH Diet recommends eating staple foods such as fruits, vegetables and whole grains and limiting processed foods with high salt content.
5. Blood pressure. Eating foods that contain calcium and magnesium. High potassium And limit the quantity Sodium and salt Which results in lower blood pressure.
6. Reduce the level of cholesterol. It recommends eating a diet of whole grains, whole wheat, brown rice, a dietary source with high. fiber. Eating foods high in fiber can help lower your cholesterol levels.
7. Lose weight DASH Diet can help you lose weight because it is recommended to eat the main foods that are high in volume but less
What are the disadvantages of the DASH diet?
1. Not a specific method for early weight loss. Therefore, you should adjust the amount of nutrients you eat if you want to use it for weight loss.
2. Eat a lot of fiber foods.
3. Expensive costs The DASH Diet recommends eating fruits, vegetables, whole grains, which may contain The price is quite high.
4. Must note the amount of food and sodium intake per day.
Who can the DASH Diet be used for?
1. Athletes and people who are active because the DASH Diet has consumed large amounts of carbohydrate. Thus able to help increase glucose levels
2. Weight loss, suitable for people who have a lot of weight. especially on the belly Or people with metabolic disorders Type 2 diabetes.
3. People at risk of serious diseases such as heart, cancer, high blood pressure.
4. Slow down aging because eating fruits and vegetables, which contain high antioxidants.
* However, the DASH Diet may not be suitable for patients with kidney disease or those requiring dialysis.
What are the side effects of the DASH Diet?
1. DASH Diet Eat foods that are high in fiber. Which will result in gas Bloating and diarrhea.
2. Eating too much fiber can cause constipation.
3. Not suitable for people with kidney disorders. Pustular disease, heart failure due to increased potassium intake. Fruits and vegetables can cause an irregular heartbeat.